You are here
The "pre-IB"/IB DP at Nørre G present an offer to internationally mobile students, notably foreign students living in Denmark and Danes returning after several years in schools abroad, as well as Danish students who have finished Folkeskolen/1g, respectively.
Being a state school, Nørre G does not charge tuition or examination fees.
- Admission to the "pre-IB" programme requires completion of grade 10 in Anglo-American types of secondary school programmes or the 9th or 10th grade in the Danish folkeskole – or equivalent - with excellent academic results.
- Admission to the two-year IB Diploma Programme requires completion of grade 11 in Anglo-American types of secondary school programmes - or the equivalent of the Danish 1g - also with excellent academic results.
Since both teaching and examinations are conducted in English, applicants must be proficient in English (on more than the common colloquial level) - and preferably also have some knowledge of Danish as IB students are encouraged to join the Danish students in extracurricular activities.
Admission criteria: See menu
Applicants must use the relevant special application form which is available from the Nørre G website (see menu). Forms must be returned by post (=hardcopy) before 1 March (=arrival date) along with the following mandatory documents:
- Latest report card(s) (if non-English or non-Danish: in official translation)
- Reference from applicant's current or latest school (the focus of the reference should be on the applicant's academic record as well as an assessment of his/her personal and social skills. The reference ought to be a comprehensive evaluation; i.e. NOT be written by only one subject teacher)
- Applicant's own presentation - Hand-written only! (A detailed presentation of the applicant, including relevant reasons for applying to the "pre-IB"/IB programme at Nørre Gymnasium)
- Photocopy of the applicant's passport
- Photocopy of the applicant's Danish National Insurance Card ("sundhedskort") or Residence Permit from the Danish Immigration Authorities, valid for the full duration of the programme applied for
- Special needs (very important to be submitted to inform the school beforehand: documentation for particular conditions)
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicants' own responsibility to ensure the validity of their legal status in Denmark by contacting the official authorities! The school is not involved in the process.
Applicants for the "pre-IB" must be aware of the following:
- You must choose a language at “native language level” (either English A or Danish A), choose a 1st foreign language (either English B or Danish B), choose a 2nd foreign language (either French B, German B, or Spanish B ab initio) - You must take 3 languages in the pre-IB programme
- Your prioritized pre-IB science choices determine your IB DP science choices (i.e. you cannot choose a science in IB DP that you have not done in pre-IB !).
- You must choose science subjects in prioritized order (1/2/3) – write the appropriate number in the circles (two subjects will be followed in pre-IB)
NB! Ansøgere fra folkeskolen skal samtidig aflevere sædvanligt ansøgningsskema til gymnasiet/hf og angive pre-IB som 1. prioritet (=studieretning under Stx). Se: http://www.optagelse.dk/.
OBS: ansøgningsfrist er 1. marts (via den respektive folkeskole).
Såfremt man ikke optages i "pre-IB", videresendes den normale ansøgning fra optagelse.dk til den skole, der ønskes som næste prioritet, og behandles på lige fod med alle andre ansøgninger til danske ungdomsuddannelser.
Applicants for the IB Diploma Programme must fill in subject choices - one subject from each of the six subject groups all within the same color-coded column, i.e.:
- Choose and clearly tick off ONE of the six color-coded columns and also name color in the appropriate box
- Within the chosen column, clearly circle one subject choice in each of the 6 groups (Groups 1-6). Exception: Bilingual speakers may choose two languages in Group 1 and no language in Group 2.
- You must choose 3 Higher Level (HL) subjects and 3 Standard Level (SL) subjects – alternatively four at higher level and two at standard level.
- If you choose an A-"self-taught" language, please indicate (on the dotted line) the language that you intend to study. This option needs to be taken if English or Danish is not the best/native language!
- The school may ask applicants to change their subject choices if a subject/level cannot be established because too few applicants have chosen it (=disclaimer). In the case of late applications, some subject options may not be available any longer as the courses are filled up
- The subject choices are BINDING for the duration of the IB DP. Only school-internal placement tests may influence these choices (subject teachers' professional evalation).
The selection of candidates for admission is based on the latest grades and the reference from the previous school which should focus on the applicant’s ability to meet the very rigorous academic demands of the IB programme (if relevant, after the completion of the "pre-IB").
All applicants will be informed about the outcome of their application by the end of April (via email to the applicant's email address). In the case of our positive response, the applicant is asked to confirm the place via email. Successful candidates will receive information about the introduction programme well in advance of the beginning of the new academic year in August. Relevant information will also be published on this website.
Further information is available from IB coordinator Jutta Rüdiger (email or direct telephone +45 4454 4727). More information (in Danish) about life at Nørre G can be found on the school’s website.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 1 March – Late applications will only be considered if there are vacancies. Incomplete applications will not be processed.